2.05.2014

Cheesy Polenta with Sautéed Mushrooms

Polenta is relatively new to me in that I always assumed cream of wheat, grits and basically any kind of stone-ground meal were the same. Isn't it all porridge? I guess the actual differences lay in where the wheat or corn is from and where it's being served. Whatever the case, I'm calling this polenta!

Ingredients for Cheesy Polenta with Sauteed Mushrooms Recipe

I love the heartiness mushrooms can give any dish, and it seems mushrooms and polenta go together like, well, mushrooms and polenta. The mushroom selection at my grocery store was limited so I picked up shiitake and a medley of button and oyster (which I can barely look at because they gross me out so much visually). Any kind will do, so choose mushrooms at your own discretion!

Usually I don't fuss over fresh herbs when cooking but I'll say this polenta was all the better for it. If you're like me and can never use your basil (or anything) before it browns, try grabbing those single serving $1 containers if your store has them.

Ingredients for Cheesy Polenta Recipe
Poaching Egg floating in hot water

I poached eggs during the polenta's 10-minute cooking/stirring intervals. Dedicating 4 minutes per egg and allowing them to cool until everything was ready to be served.

I had never properly poached an egg before this! I was always too afraid and relished in the safety of my poaching pods. It was so awesome to watch the egg dance in the swirling vinegar water à la Smitten Kitchen's instructions.

Cheesy Polenta with Sautéed Mushrooms Recipe

This isn't at all difficult to make, or too time-consuming for that matter. It's also kind of perfect for any meal. It can be a hearty brunch, a savory dinner, and leftovers warm up nicely the next day thanks to all the cream and cheese. It's so delicious!


Sautéed Mushrooms
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 shallot, chopped
16 oz mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
6 oz white wine
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 tablespoons olive oil
Salt & Pepper

Over medium-high heat, cook rosemary in olive oil for 2 minutes. Remove rosemary and discard, add shallots. Cook shallots until translucent. Add mushrooms and sauté for 8 minutes. Stir in white wine, bring to a simmer for 6 minutes. Stir in red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Cheesy Polenta
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
32 oz stock (or water)
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
8 oz corn grits/polenta
1/2 pint heavy cream
1 cup shredded Fontina
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon minced chives
4 tablespoons olive oil
Salt & Pepper

Over medium-high heat, sauté onions in olive oil in a saucepan for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in stock and bring to a boil, add oregano and basil. Pour in polenta while whisking. Turn down heat to low and continue whisking until polenta thickens. Cover polenta and cook for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Stir in heavy cream, cheeses, and butter and mix until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with mushrooms and chives.

Cheesy Polenta with Sautéed Mushrooms Recipe

Serving the cheesy polenta with sautéed mushrooms topped with poached eggs was a GREAT decision. The last time I made this dish I served it with fish, so I wanted there to be a little something more to it and gooey yolks are great on everything! Even under piles of more cheese.

15 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! I'm drooling. I don't think I've ever had polenta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and is totally drool worthy! While writing out the post I was doing a mental checklist of my pantry so I could make it again. Sadly, we were cheeseless... I think this recipe would make a great introduction to the mush that is polenta.

      Delete
  2. I am going to try this....it looks sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do and report back so I can fix any recipe errors! Ha! I always get so nervous especially because I eyeball most of my ingredients whenever I cook. Hopefully you'll love it just as much as we did!

      Delete
  3. OMG that looks so good - and vegetarian, to boot! Might have to give it a try (or, more accurately, pass it along to my husband so he can make it for me)! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already caught one mistake and quickly fixed it so let me know if he catches anything! Hope you guys like it!

      Delete
    2. P.S. I just noticed that your photo of your ingredients (the onions, garlic and various green herbs) make a happy face! Was that on purpose? Too cute. Great photos in this one all around. :)

      Delete
    3. You're right! Haha, it was totally unintentional but obviously perfect.

      Delete
  4. Looks really good, too bad I don't have any cooking skills. But man, the photo of the mushroom bowl looks amazing, it could be a cover of a magazine. hahaha.. Love your blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I actually really love that picture too. I'm sure you could take this recipe on. The toughest part was the egg poaching which you could easily skip and/or use poach pods.You'll have to let me know if you end up trying it!

      Delete
  5. This looks delicious! I tried a bite of polenta last week and it was pretty good. I'm gonna have to save this recipe for later.

    Side note: eyeliner fail - the eyeliner I bought was kind of dried out, I exchanged it and that one was dried out too. The tester worked like a dream though. I checked the reviews and seems like a lot of people are having that problem. I think I'm gonna exchange it for the Kat Von D or Stila.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! You won't regret it. I also like making it less creamy and frying it up the next day!

      Ugh, what a bummer about the liner though. That stuff looked amazing when you swatched it! Hopefully the Stila will work nicely for you. I need to figure out what it is that rubs me the wrong way about it... Speaking of fails, that foundation that took years to color match on me totally oxidized and I looked like I had applied self tanner by the time I got home. :(

      Delete
  6. Your post was very nicely written. I’ll be back in the future for sure!
    Buy mushrooms online

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from readers! ♥