11.17.2012

The Battle of the Gratins

While thumbing through an issue of Real Simple I grabbed out of the recycling bin at work, I came across a real simple (lol) recipe for a Spinach and Gruyère Gratin. I've never made (or eaten) a gratin other than scalloped potatoes, so I figured why not? I mean, there's cream, wine, eggs, shallots, and Gruyère in there! All of which I love.


After buying almost 50oz in frozen chopped spinach, it hit me: we were about to be inundated with spinach! Maybe I should halve the recipe?? Of course this is was after I purchased all my ingredients. Luckily, I had everything I needed to try Ina Garten's Spinach Gratin, too. Let the battle begin!

Real Simple's on the left and Ina Garten's on the right.


Real Simple's was much heartier due to the eggs and reminded me more of a frittata than anything. The wine-cooked shallots were delicious and my addition of garlic was smart (duh). Ina's was definitely creamier and more dip-like, but I wish it had a little more flavor. Honestly, I still don't know which one I enjoyed more. We ate both with toasted pita wedges the first day, spread atop a pizza the next, and tossed with capellini pasta, tomatoes and garlic for the next two meals. Surprisingly, we weren't completely sick of spinach by the end of the week!

2 comments:

  1. Your blog inspires me to no end! Just spent some time drooling over your past posts and now I need to make a brunch similar to your Ikea and Longman&Eagle-inspired one... Do you have a favorite hollendaise recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, what a nice thing to say. Thank you! To be completely honest, I'm not sure which recipe I used in that post but the ingredients I are right there. Chances are it's this recipe because most of the ingredients match up. There is a mystery teaspoon of something in the photo though. Perhaps it's sugar?

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from readers! ♥